Jobs for July
A perfect summer day is when the sun is
shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing,
and the lawn mower is broken.
- James Dent
Summer is in full swing, so below is a list of some of the gardening jobs to get done in July.
- Weed and deadhead plants regularly, checking for
pests and diseases at the same time.
- Mulch while the soil is moist to reduce the need
for watering and to keep down weeds.
- Check regularly to see if new plants need water.
New plantings are all particularly vulnerable and may need water every
- Mow the lawn weekly or more often if necessary;
frequent mowing encourages dense growth.
- Adjust supports as plants grow.
- Don’t stop weeding!
- Top up garden pools to replace water lost
- Prune summer-flowering deciduous shrubs over
three years old as they finish flowering.
- Plant autumn-flowering bulbs such as amaryllis,
nerines, colchicums and autumn crocuses.
- Water plants growing in containers